Important letter from Fr. Tom – March 17
These are unprecedented times. I feel anguish over the limited ways that are now available to me to provide you with the Sacraments. My identity as a priest is intrinsically connected to my sacramental ministry. So please know I share your disappointment in not being able to celebrate Mass and receive Holy Communion with you.
Yet, I also understand why this is being done. The health and well-being of the people, especially the elderly and most vulnerable among us, must be protected. It flows from our commitment to the dignity and value of every human life. So if the young and the healthy have to make sacrifices for the elderly and infirm for now, so be it.
The directives we received from the Diocese of Rockville Centre can be found elsewhere in today’s bulletin. These restrictions apply until APRIL 14, 2020.
Let me suggest alternative means of staying connected spiritually:
1) Mass from Our Lady of Victory will be available each day on Youtube accessible through our parish website (olvfpny.org), Instagram and Facebook accounts
2) Mass from St. Agnes Cathedral can be viewed on the Catholic Faith Network (Optimum Channel 29/137; Verizon FIOS channel 296; Spectrum channel 162/471) Monday through Friday at 8:30 and 12:30 pm; and Sundays at 11 am and 7 pm
3) The Blessed Sacrament will be exposed on the altar at OLV for private Adoration from 8 am to 1 pm each day
4) Your homes are “domestic churches.” Perhaps these days are opportunities to increase your family prayer time at home – for example, by watching Mass together or praying the Rosary, Grace before meals, nighttime prayers, viewing formed.org videos
Some additional things you might want to know:
1) Confirmation ceremonies with Bishop Andrzej will be re-scheduled for a later date
2) Confessions will be held at the usual times in the Sacristy, instead of the confessionals 3) Funerals will continue to be celebrated as needed
4) Baptisms and Weddings will be celebrated or postponed at the discretion of the family 5) Communion to the Homebound will be suspended
6) Please continue to contact the rectory for the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick
7) The Parish Lenten Mission has been cancelled
8) All parish meetings are cancelled
9) OLV School and Faith Formation Program are closed until further notice.
10) Parish Outreach will remain open to serve the needs of the homebound.
11) Please continue to remember the parish with pantry donations and charitable donations.
An on-line giving option is available for parishioners. Please see the page elsewhere in today’s bulletin to register for on-line giving.
An Act of Spiritual Communion (to be said at Communion time when watching Mass)
My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
Come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.
Praised be the name of Jesus Christ now and forever!